Certified Superstar is a 20-minute mentorship program where businesses that are at least 51% LGBT owned and certified by NGLCC have the opportunity to appear before a panel of professionals from one or more of our corporate partners to provide a “mock” pitch.
Each business has ten minutes to make its presentation which should focus on a service and value proposition. Following each presentation, the panel, which is usually comprised of procurement and supplier diversity professionals, will provide ten minutes of constructive feedback on style, content, presentation skill, and communication. In addition, the panel will provide helpful tips to improve upon any visual presentations (PowerPoint, video, hard copy documents) that are used during the presentation.
The program’s mission is for NGLCC certified businesses to walk away with helpful advice from Corporate Partner representatives. Although these are mock pitches, Certified Superstar is a tremendous opportunity for NGLCC certified businesses to gain at least the following:
- Financially FREE constructive feedback to help you improve your pitch, whether a casual elevator pitch or a formal pitch.
- Judgment-free, safe-space for you to practice your pitch. Everyone in the room wants to help you succeed.
- See and be seen by representatives from many Corporate Partners. Participation is a great way to build relationships with key Corporate Partner representatives.
- Although Certified Superstar is technically a mock pitch, many suppliers have actually obtained business from Corporate Partners as a result of their pitch.
- Learn what other LGBTBEs do. You will likely be amazed to hear what some of your fellow nglccNY members are up to which could lead to ways for you to work together.
Know your host – do your research.
Dress the part.
Have a hard and soft copy of your presentation.
Have your business cards.
Have other marketing collateral if available.
Connect (during the event)
Know your content – do not read.
Make eye contact.
Exchange business cards.
Handout marketing “leave-behind,” if any.
Apply critiques to your presentation and/or pitch.
Activate your company’s communication and relationship strategy to continue rapport.
For any questions, comments and/or interest in hosting a Certified Superstar, please contact Rob Finkelstein, nglccNY Supplier Diversity Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.